Today kicks of National Poetry Month 2008! What is National Poetry Month? Here is how the Academy of American Poets defines it:
“National Poetry Month was established by the Academy of American Poets as a month-long, national celebration of poetry. The concept was to increase the attention paid-by individuals and the media—to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our poetic heritage, and to poetry books and magazines. In the end, we hoped to achieve an increase in the visibility, presence, and accessibility of poetry in our culture. National Poetry Month has been successful beyond all anticipation and has grown over the years into the largest literary celebration in the world.”
- You can view our resources for celebrating National Poetry Month at http://del.icio.us/creekview_hs_library/NationalPoetryMonth2008!
- You may also want to check out our media center’s favorite resources for finding and exploring poetry online at http://webtech.cherokee.k12.ga.us/creekview-hs/MediaCenter/poetry.htm !
- Stay tuned for our special “Poetry Podcasts”! CRHS students will be reading original poems they have written and recording them….we’ll post the link to our iTunes podcast link in the next week!
- We will be celebrating Poem in Your Pocket Day on April 17!
- Enjoy this free podcast of great poems via iTunes!
- We will be hosting YA author Kelly Bingham April 28 and 29 as she does poetry writing workshops with our 9th and 10th grade English classes!
- Sign up for a “Poem a Day”!
We also have a special collection of over 150 modern and classic poetry books you can check out! Come by the library to find a wonderful book of poetry!